CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The dreaded day!

Well it finally happened! The minute we moved out to the country I dreaded the day and it finally came. My mouse encounter!!! It was a normal sunny Wednesday afternoon. Kelsey, Chloe and I were anxiously awaiting a visit from Mimi. (Cue the happy music please!!) We don't get too many visitors to our house so I was picking up around the house listening to Kelsey ask me every 5 minutes when her Mimi was coming. I was headed out to the garage and I still don't remember why (I guess the near fatal heart attack gave me temporary amnesia!) and loe and behold there it was. To make matters worse I almost stepped on it before I realized what it was. After I passed it by I then did an over the shoulder look and saw a good size field mouse sitting on my back door mat just hanging out. At least I would like to think it was just hanging out but according to Robert if it didn't move when I screamed at the top of my lungs it was probably in a little bit of a comatose due to the poison it probably just ingested. The back door was still wide open and another one of my greatest fears was staring me in the face. It was going to come inside! I screamed at Kelsey who was in the living room - luckily Chloe was asleep otherwise she would probably attempt to play with it and I don't know what I would have done then. She might have had a playmate until someone else could come along and move her! I wasn't about to go 10 feet near it. Anyways, I digress, Kelsey came running and almost came outside until I quickly yelled at her to shut the door and I would come around to front door. Luckily it was already open! So as she screams and cries she shuts the door and runs around to the front door. I run around to the front and quickly pick her up and apologize for screaming at her and explain it was only mommy yelling for her own safety (ha ha)!! We decided to check out the mouse again from a much further distance and the poor thing is still sitting on my door mat. Even an attempt to scare it away by throwing something at it didn't work. So it sat there for a few hours and made us avoid going out into the garage for awhile. Eventually it left whether on its own accord or by Sadie - our dog who tends to also play with skunks - it didn't turn up again until my brother almost stepped on it the next day outside. He generously picked it up and threw it in the trash for me. I made him put it under other trash - I couldn't even stare at it when it wasn't alive! So another day goes by in the life of a country girl and I am sure I will have another similar situation again - reminds me to get those barn cats soon!!

0 comments: